Tuesday, April 22, 2014

These Beauty Essentials are a Force of Nature

In Honor of Earth Day, Here are My Top Eco-Friendly Beauty Essentials

 


Some products can leave harmful residue during disposal into the sewer, then circulated into our eco system. For example, microbead in some scrubs are coming from particles of plastic that rinse down the drain and eventually show up in lakes and oceans. In addition to polluting the water, microbeads can accumulate other toxic chemicals such as PCBs, be eaten by fish and wind up in the food supply, according to the Attorney General's office. If you aren’t sure if your scrub contains the offenders, check the ingredients list for 'Polyethylene'. From my experience you are better off anyways, as they tend to be too harsh. The gritty beads can break the skin and spread bacteria, causing breakouts.

Here are my favorite beauty products with sustainably harvested ingredients, and eco-friendly packaging:

Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush
It's a long-wearing blush that really lasts up to 12 hours!! The fade-free flawless finish is due to natural clay, harvested from the banks of the Amazon River. The Amazon River flows for 4,000 miles and as it flows it collects highly nutrias plant and fruit matter.  A lot of brands market their blushes as long lasting, but with this one I really found it to be the case, and the color payoff is fantastic!!

Tarte - Smooth Operator™ Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
This translucent, silky finishing powder keeps makeup in place without ever appearing chalky and mattifies skin by removing excess surface oil.
Aside from the Amazonian clay, It contains a special clay called Kaolinite, which can absorb 75 percent of its weight in sebum as it hydrates the skin, leaving a long-lasting matte finish that won’t make breakouts worse. Perfect for oily skin like mine!!
Another impressive ingredient is - Lysophosphatidic acid (LPA), a phospholipid derivative with the ability to stimulate cell proliferation. It visibly reduces pores thanks to a stimulating cell differentiation, promoting the tightening of skin, effectively shrinking oversized pores.
This powder really makes my pores less noticeable. I can count on it when I go to on camera auditions and don't want my skin to be oily and shiny in an unfaltering way. 


 
Josie Maran - Argan Oil Hair Serum
If you've read this post, by now you are aware of my obsession with hair serums, and this one shines in my endless stash, delivering instant and long lasting shine.
A recent study has shown that only some oils will actually penetrate the hair. Mineral oil and sunflower oil for example, will not penetrate. But Argan oil will filter deep into the cortex because it is so similar to hair's natural lipids. Straight chain glycerides will easily penetrate, while polyunsaturated oils, like jojoba oil, are more open in their structure so they don't pass through the layers of cuticles very well.  When I use it, my hair looks and feels healthier, silkier, and extraordinarily shiny. Biosilk serum is my top pick, but if it's a more curly look I am going for this adds shine and smoothness, yet curls hold well with it.

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive
I mentioned this gem when I wrote about my favorite peels (you can read the post here). Since then, this has become my #1 favorite peel!! This peel toned them down my acne scars completely.  I use it two ways--as a mask and also as a spot treatment on any zits on my face, which will tremendously reduce them. A combination of acids tends to be more potent at melting away dead layers of skin and this is formulated with: malic acid from organic apple juice, citric acid from lemons, tartaric acid from white grapes, glycolic acid from raw cane sugar & lactic acid from organic milk.

Happy Earth Day,


No comments:

Post a Comment